HOLY CANOLA OIL, BATMAN!
Less than a week between
postings. That might be a world record or something for me.
Unfortunately, as often
seems the case with my blog, it's not a happy circumstance that brought this
quick follow-up to the blog from March 15.
2016 wasn't a great year
for musicians as we lost a host of people who were not only major contributors
to the music scene in terms of content, they also contributed vastly by serving
as major influences on other musicians. That winds up as a train of
contributions that never ends. An artist from 1930 influences an artist from
1945, who influences an artist from 1960, who influences some guy or girl from
'75.
Then, the representative
from 1975 is a big part of what becomes a star in 1990, then 2005. Then 2015,
and on and on it goes. Or, to quote a gentleman who freely admits many artists
who have had an influence on him (and in turn has had major influence on many
artists in his own right);
And so it goes and so it goes
And so it goes and so it goes
But where it's goin' no one knows
And so it goes and so it goes
And so it goes and so it goes
But where it's goin' no one knows
But where it's goin' no one knows
And so it goes and so it goes
And so it goes and so it goes
But where it's goin' no one knows
*Nick Lowe "So It Goes" from the Jesus
of Cool album.
The point I'm getting at
is that 90 year old Chuck Berry died on Saturday March 18, 2017. He's a man who
has influenced about every type of artist at every type of level.
John Lennon (of The
Beatles, obviously) said something to the effect that "If you gave rock
and roll another name, that name would be Chuck Berry." John Lennon? He
was a little influential, wasn't he?
Have you ever heard of
this English guitarist Keith Richards? He's in this band filled with old
people; The Rolling Stones. He's had Chuck Berry kick him off of the stage,
punch him in the face, throw a lit match down his shirt, and further assault
him on numerous occasions both verbally and physically.
Keith Richards... He qualifies
as probably an influence. In fact, as long as he's been
around, he will probably have been a direct influence on about three distinct
generations of musicians if not more.
One brief personal aside
regarding both of these guitarists (Lennon and Richards); I've been into music HEAVILY for
over 40 years now. Two of the most popular bands in that time period have been
The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and I take a lot of grief for admitting to
being a KISS fan and admitting to NOT being a Stones or Beatles fan.
I really like most of
John Lennon's stuff (Yoko Ono exempted) outside of The Beatles. Some of his
musical output has been filed directly in the folder of "Some of the best
music with which we may ever be graced!" Obviously there is some Lennon
music that I don't much care for. Well, to be fair, I like to think I'm a
musician and there's a percentage of MY music for which I don't particularly
care.
With the sentiments
described above, it probably won't make sense to you to hear that I really
don't care for 'The Beatles' as a whole. I may be biased here, but even though
the Beatles tune "Back in the U.S.S.R." is a really good song, my
band mates and I did what I still think was an awesome remake of it (Back in
the U.S.S.R.) 'all those years ago' back in college in 1978.
There was some George
Harrison that I kinda liked. Not a whole lot, but there was some. "While
My Guitar Gentle Weeps" is an absolutely spectacular song! "My Sweet
Lord," "All Those Years Ago," "Got My Mind Set on
You," "Here Comes the Sun," "If Not for You,"
"When We Was Fab," and probably a few more I really enjoyed.
I liked much of what
Ringo has done post-Beatles, but he's probably been one of the Beatles with a
kind of lower output. I don't know why, but I don't care for Paul McCartney at
all. Sure, there are a number of songs put out between him as strictly a solo
artist and as Paul McCartney and Wings. Surprisingly, with the relatively large
output, there's very little by McCartney for which I care.
Keith Richards is
another story entirely. I have all that I can find of his solo stuff and I
really like it. Basically, what I can't figure out is how can I like Keith
Richards so much and like the Rolling Stones so little. His attitude - even
after 50 years of playing guitar for a living - still shows he's having fun
with it.
Lyrics in a lot of his
solo songs show he's still having fun with it. It's good to see one of the
best-known guitarists in the world not taking himself so seriously.
And wasn't that what
this whole installment of "Me an' my Opinions" supposed to be about?
One of the best known guitarists in the world?
Chuck Berry's got his
first studio album in about 38 years due to be released in 2017. I'm very sad
to see him go, but I hope it doesn't hamper the release of the CD. It's
comprised of original songs, and frequent Chuck Berry band mates took part in
creating the record.
The supporting band
includes Charles Berry Jr. on guitar, Ingrid Berry on harmonica, Jimmy Marsala
on bass (including 40 years of experience with Chuck), Robert Lohr on piano,
and drummer Keith Robinson.
The new CD (I read
somewhere some time ago that it was due to be released sometime in April 2017,
but I cannot find that reference anywhere) will be released by Dualtone
Records, which is an Entertainment One company. For a little more information
about this new release (which I knew I HAD to have sometime in the last half of
2016 when I first found out about it), check the following site;
http://shorefire.com/client/chuck-berry
It's got a bit of
information on Chuck Berry as well as the new release. Please keep in mind as
you read that I DID say '...a little more information...'
You can also check Mr.
Berry's official site at;
http://chuckberry.com/
There you have it. After
celebrating his 90th birthday several months ago and (hopefully) completing the
music for his first original release in 38 years, Chuck Berry has moved on. If
“Rock and roll heaven..." didn't have a hell of a band yet, they surely do
now!
Comments