Writing for fun? Yes, it's possible!

Old habits die hard, I s'pose. I was reading through previous posts and getting a bit unhappy with the fact that my last entry was a month before I had my 'season-ending back surgery.' Yes, my second spinal surgery in 19 months and my third in nine years.

A guy I used to work with said he wanted a fusion several years ago and when he told his doctor the doctor responded with a joke; "What do you call a guy who has had three back surgeries?"

My buddy replied "I don't know. What?"

The doctor dropped the punch line; "An optimist!"

In short, he didn't get the spinal fusion he was after and he's not unhappy about it now.

I have about a week left in my near two-and-a-half month recovery leave and I'm half looking forward to going to work again and half kinda dreading it. Things are changing at work and I guess I'm not crazy about change. I mean, I'm not Sheldon Cooper not crazy about change, but it tends to make me less comfortable.

I haven't gotten near the amount of stuff done that I had wanted to finish up while I was off, but to be honest, the recovery has gone a lot more slowly than I expected and I think I won't get back to as good as I was before the back issues. That was the expected outcome, but that doesn't mean you can't hope, right?

To be honest, I'm so much better than immediately before the surgery that I should be focused on that solely. Is the glass half-full or half-empty? (Who cares? The cat's gonna knock it off the night stand anyway.) I'm trying to move around to the positive approach, but I'll bet that will have to wait until I can string together a couple of good days in a row.

Still, even a bad day now isn't a fraction of what a bad day was before the surgery. That would be the days when I was eating pain pills just to function. It's been nice to NOT have to take pills just so you can walk around without wincing, or focus on the conversation you're having, so there's another positive to look at.

One of the good things that has come out of my idle time recently is that I started writing again. Though it's sometimes hard to tell from this blog, I enjoy writing - especially if it's something I know a little about. That pretty much narrows it down to music and hockey. Since the hockey 'zines I've written for have unceremoniously folded and not resurfaced, that leaves music.

I was reading a music blog and found that I liked the guys' style of writing. He'd posted an entry lamenting the fact that as it was a one-man-show and he was getting busier and busier he found that he would have to really scale back his writing for the blog. Since I liked his approach pretty well I wrote and offered my help if he wanted it. Here's a link;

http://fasterandlouderblog.blogspot.com/2017/07/a-somewhat-major-announcement.html

That's the announcement posted after he'd read a little of my writing - both here and in some of the other stuff I'd done - and decided maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing. On the page you'll land on with the above link, the entry starts as follows'

"So after six years of operating this blog entirely as a one-man show, I have decided that the time has come to open the door to additional contributors. Tomorrow I will be posting the first-ever F & L review not written by me, and I think readers will really enjoy it!"

In case you were curious, the "...first ever F & L review not written by..." him is my review of Cheap Trick's newest release - We're All Alright! Yes, that's a fact of which I'm fairly proud.

I'll end with a request of grade school and high school teachers (Boy I bet there's a boatload of them reading this, eh?). Please don't use writing as a punishment. There are few enough people in the universe who can write acceptably at this time, I wish more potential writers weren't turned off permanently by having to stay after class and write "I will not act like a dipstick in class." 500 times on the board. 

If you don't believe my comment about 'few enough people who can write acceptably' please look through your local newspaper. The nationals are bad enough, but if the shallow end of the writing talent pool is all many papers and a whole lot of web sites have to offer, we need an infusion of new talent and we need it very soon!

I saw a single-pane comic a while back where there's a balding guy in glasses wearing a suit standing at a brick wall next to some gang-member-looking guy. They're both spray painting graffiti on the wall. The guy in the suit looks at the gang-looking guy and says; "I know proper grammar and punctuation isn't exactly street, but that's how I roll, m----rF----r."

That's not to say my writing is error free. If you've read any of these entries you already know THAT'S not true, but the bastardization perpetuated by IMs, texts, and twitter announcements are issues I will put off to another time to address - if at all.

Suffice to say that if your writing proficiency is on display writing something like "OMG! R U there? lol." please look for your next job somewhere you speak and don't have to write. Practice saying things like "You want fries with that?"

Comments

Popular Posts